[OM] Re: Announcing the 2004 Winter Solstice Photo Exchange!

Subject: [OM] Re: Announcing the 2004 Winter Solstice Photo Exchange!
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:48:32 -0200
on 22/11/2004 11:20, Steve Dropkin at steve@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> But have I been
> ignorant to think that the December 21-22 solstice is called the
> Winter Solstice everywhere despite the weather that follows?
Ignorant sounds too strong a word. Perhaps a Copernican discovery...
Here at 34° 55' South we call it Summer Solstice for the same reasons you
name it the opposite.
Winter Solstice reminds me of an excellent Raph Towner ECM recording, BTW -
(since we had a recent thread on guitar players) :^)
Proper name should be Capricorn Solstice, IMO.

Cheers,

Fernando.