[OM] Re: Parts commonality -- Olympus and R!coh?

Subject: [OM] Re: Parts commonality -- Olympus and R!coh?
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:46:50 -0600
> While cruising through yet another thrift store yesterday, I found a
> Se@rs "35|RF" rangefinder camera that reminded me _very much_ of my
> Oly 35RC.
<snip>
> So is it just a coincidence that these two cameras look so very much
> alike? Or that in a rangefinder this small there are very few places
> to move things around? Or that Japanese manufacturers (Olympus in
> particular) share large amounts of components -- or designers -- for
> some cameras?

By and large, a coincidence, attributable to all the above.  Successful
designs are copied, designers sometimes change employers (I was told that
the design of the Olympus FTL was influenced by someone formerly of Mamiya,
for example), there are only so many places to put things (where do you want
your wind lever? most folks are right handed, so upper right is most
convenient to most buyers, and so on).  Inside, however, I'm quite confident
there is nothing inside the Ricoh/Sears that could be used in a 35 RC.