[OM] Re: OT: Tripod Heads

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Tripod Heads
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:06:52 -0500
Cc: robhar@xxxxxx
I've had an Arca Swiss B1 for several years and it's the cream of the crop, as
far as I'm concerned, well worth the $350 or so....you'll keep it the rest of
your life, if you want.  Unless I replace it with something better, someone
will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.....it's that good.  Oh, and buy
either Kirk or RRS plates, they're fantastic, but not cheap.

If I was buying a new ballhead and weight was an issue, I'd seriously consider
the Acratech (sp?), which is superb.  Gitzo also makes a nice small head that I
like (not one of the offset ones, which drove me crazy, but the smaller,
symmetrical one (not the tiny model).  There are also other nice small
($75-125) ballheads out there too.  Ideally, I'd like one that had an
Arca-Swiss clamp.  UPDATE: I just looked on the RRS page and they've got a real
nifty small head the BH-25 that has an AS plate attached.  I may just have to
get that one.......

If I was buying a new. all-purpose ballhead, I'd buy the new Really Right Stuff
BH-55 head, which is getting rave reviews.  www.reallyrightstuff.com.

Skip