[OM] Re: Flash Q and minor rant

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash Q and minor rant
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:51:24 -0000
OK, I'll bite.

You are both at least partially correct, but you are talking about different
animals.

In the phrase "fifty cents" 'cents' is a plural noun, just as 'dollars' in
"worth fifty dollars".

In the phrase "fifty cent stamp" 'fifty cent' is adjectival, describing the
stamp, just as 'fifty dollar' dscribes the bill in "fifty dollar bill".

As to whether the plural of 'penny' is 'pennies' or 'pence' - I think it is
a question of context.  A defined number of them would require 'pence',
whereas an indeterminate amount, or a context in which you emphasise that
there aren't many of them, or emphasise the coins themselves rather than
their worth, would require 'pennies'.  "I had thirty five pence to spend"
compared to "I had barely two pennies to rub together"

But cent as the plural of cent?  Not over here!  But then, we don't have any
cents over here.

HTH!

--
Piers