[OM] Re: Off-camera flash with OM1

Subject: [OM] Re: Off-camera flash with OM1
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:35:43 -0000
Piers Hemy wrote:

> You could put a fuel cell in the grip, or fill it with sand, it makes no
> difference, a T-series flash will not fit into the shoe of PBG1 because the
> pinouts on the power connector on the front of the flash are different.  It
> isn't that the pinouts prevent the power getting through- they physically
> block the T series from fitting the shoe.

Fair enough.

> You said "they don't take T-series flash units". And I said "The power
> socket ... makes it impossible to fit a T-series flash into a PBG1", and we
> are right! You have clinched the 'sale' - don't buy it back.

I misunderstood your comment about not fitting. I knew they wouldn't work
fully/properly, but didn't appreciate that they wouldn't push forward enough to
make contact on the hot shoe.

> If you used a Flash Extender (with the rubber bung renoved), or similar, you
> might get any flash gun (incl. T-series) to fit - but it seems a bit
> pointless.

Presumably a lot of flash units don't have the same physical limitation and
would fit on the hot shoe?

Simon