[OM] ( OM ) Re: Here goes ...

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Re: Here goes ...
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:24:19 +1300
Jason wrote

> Just had another look at it on the site and I see what you mean.  However,
> it is quite a bit clearer on the original print and scan.  I had to reduce
> the quality quite a bit to get it down to a suitable size to put on the
> web.  Do you (or anyone else) find it better to reduce the quality when
> converting from TIFF to JPEG or when you do the 'Save for Web' in PS?

I use an Adobe program that is a heap smaller than Photoshop, to do my
photo editing 99.5% of the time. Name = Adobe Photodeluxe. Came with
some scanner or other.

It has a feature in the "Size" menu, called "Photo re-size".

This lets me specify a new "width & height" in a variety of measures
including cm, inches and pixels.

Works fast and well.

Adobe Photodeluxe also has the great feature that it does not work on
imported jpg files directly, but converts tham to its own format called *.PDD.
The only problem with that aspect is that when converting to a new jpeg I
have to make allowance for the fact that unless I lighten things up a bit in
the
PDD file, the resultant jpeg will be noticeably darker.

This "fault" does not occur when I want to re-size only imported jpegs; this is
the program I used for re-sizing the 2003 exchange images from the large
originals I have sometimes been sent so far and to my eyes there has been
no alteration to contrast or density between versions.

I would re-size the TIFF, export to jpeg, then quit, WITHOUT saving the re-
sized TIFF when asked if that is what you want to do.

Brian