[OM] Re: Kauai tips/ideas please

Subject: [OM] Re: Kauai tips/ideas please
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:53:15 -0600
Jim,
I haven't been to Kauai in 30 years, but I am elsewhere in Hawaii every two
years or so.  I like James' suggestion, but I'm not sure I've found a film
that does both landscape and skin tones well.  I prefer Velvia in HI, and
it's actually fine for the skin of the indigenous population, but it's
especially good for landscape IMO and particularly when the light is flat,
i.e., from 9 AM to 3 PM (when you'll probably be out taking a lot of
photos).  Kodachrome just isn't competitive during these hours but is great
during magic hour.  Magic hour is very abrupt in HI because of the greater
proximity to the equator, so don't expect a long period of twilight.

A very light blue CC filter helps color balance at sunset with Kodachrome,
but Velvia is not fussy.

Waimea canyon is worth viewing.  If you want a big long hike (overnighter),
I think the Pali coast hike begins in that area.  I've always wanted to but
never done that.  Best views of Na Pali cliffs are by boat, as I understand it.

There should be opportunities for flower photos occasionally.

The sun is setting far to the south this time of year.  I like being on the
south part of an island around sunset (which is not Hanalei side, but
probably closer to where you'll be staying).  Watch the clouds at both
sunrise and sunset for color changes.

Good time for whales, but I think they are mainly over by Molokai and Maui.

I remember enjoying the Hanalei area a lot (probably a hundred hotels there
now).  There's a very clear, tranquil beach near a heiau in that area
(sorry I can't be more specific).

Joel W.