[OM] Re: Off-camera flash with OM1

Subject: [OM] Re: Off-camera flash with OM1
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 19:28:45 +0100
Julian Davies wrote:
> Maybe someone has some ideas about how to adapt
> the remote sensor to use with a T-series?

Again: No way.

Olympus radically changed the flash concept
from QA310 to T-series. Mainly by switching
to thyristor controlled low voltage triggering
and more precise quench control, allowing that
famous up-to-nine flashes control by cableing
them with T-stuff. I guess Olympus thinks the
TTL control is so much more useful than any
remote sensor, especially with macro and close
up work, or odd lenses, tubes and variable
apertures through zoom ranges, they did not
stress that remote sensor concept any further.

And TTL really is that much easier.

Interestingly most other flash manufacturers
skipped remote sensor concepts too in mid/late '80.
METZ did it best (and longest) with their Mecamat
remote controllers for the 45 and 60 hammer head
flash gun lines. These were top notch remotes,
giving 9(!) stops control range (f=2 to f=45) for
auto, or full to 1/64 manually, tilt and swivel
to compensate for parallax and more. Neat stuff.
But discontinued. TTL won.

Andreas