[OM] [OT] IS-1 problem... any ideas?

Subject: [OM] [OT] IS-1 problem... any ideas?
From: "Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:52:22 -0600
I just received an Olympus IS-1 purchased on e*ay, and have a question for
the list gurus... (hoping someone has some guidance for me!)

The camera appears to be in good shape, but when I put in batteries and
powered it on, I could not (at first) get the zoom to operate - nothing
happened when pushing "T", and pushing "W" resulted in a little in-out
action just like pushing the rest buttons. I fiddled with it for awhile,
and suddenly the zoom started working - I took a couple of pictures, then
tried the power focus function, which also seemed to work (it uses the same
switches as the zoom function). Then I hit the reset (Mode + Battery Check
buttons) and it reverted to the "no zoom" behavior. I'm guessing it is
something in the electronics (versus the zoom drive mechanism/gears), since
it did work just fine for a brief time, zooming from wide to tele and back
with no ugly noises, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should try? I currently have the
batteries out of it awaiting a complete bleed-down of the internal power
(it has the QD function - I figure the electronics will be de-powered when
the clock display goes away). I can try a different set of batteries,
though the current set works fine in my Olympus Centurion S... I see that
Olympus no longer supports the IS-1 per their web site, and even if they
did, I suspect repair would be economically unwise...

Thanks in advance... the IS-1 was fairly inexpensive, and sold "as is",
though supposedly tested and found to be operational.

Curt