[OM] Re: Slighty OT: Leitz projector lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Slighty OT: Leitz projector lens
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:06:57 -0500
At 11:24 AM 11/29/04, Andrew Gullen wrote:
>on 2004/11/29 8:32 AM, Ralf Loi at ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > As for the lens, all my slides are without glass, so which kind of lens
> > should I use, the flat field or the curved field version?
>
>Curved, so it can focus the curved surface of the slide on the screen. FF is
>for glass, which holds it flat.

Technically this is correct.  In practice, I've never noted any significant
difference between FF and CF regarding focusing a slide properly across the
field.  What I have noted is CF lenses typically falling in the
inexpensive, slow consumer category.  The Kodak in particular are optically
mediocre.  The FF lenses typically fall into the more expensive
commercial/institutional category; they're faster and optically better
performers.  Even so, I'm still not all that impressed with Kodak's upper
line except perhaps their build quality which was definitely more robust
for heavy use compared to their consumer lenses.  OTOH, Schneider makes (or
made) some quite stellar lenses, and a few of them weren't that salty
(although a large number are [were] quite expensive).

-- John Lind