[OM] Re: [OT] Vowels

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Vowels
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:11:20 +1100
Not quite an elongation - closer to the original (archaic)
pronounciation of both vowels in the dipthong, just as a Geordie
(Northumbrian) will pronounce boat as 'bo-at'. Murkins do something
similar with buoy to produce a very odd pronounciation to other English
speakers (er, that is English you're using isn't it?).
The odd vowel sound is very distinctive outside N. America and usually
a good way to separate C and A to avoid serious offence although I have
been caught out - a student from Lake Placid exhibited the same sound.
Also, given that it's such a large place, we can assume some diversity
can't we? (although there's surprisingly little in Oz). Kiwis simply
shift the vowel one place so we can hear them coming - no stereotypical
over-emphasis required.
The blend of the Scots and French is simply too horrible to contemplate.
AndrewF