[OM] Re: (OT) Mispronouced words (was Philips; cross-point; posi-drive;

Subject: [OM] Re: (OT) Mispronouced words (was Philips; cross-point; posi-drive; Robertson)
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:04:11 -0600
Here in Texas, we've got a town by the name of "Mexia", and a county,
"Bexar".  The first is properly pronounced "Ma-hay-ah", the latter, "Bear".
The town's name is of Spanish origin, and I've heard that the namesake of
the county couldn't read or write, so when he had to "sign" some legal
document, he just put an "X" across the middle of his written name --
"Bear".

Calls to mind an old joke -- two (ahem) northerners were driving through
Texas and saw that they were coming to a town named "Waxahatchie".  Arguing
over the proper pronunciation of the town and in need of a meal, they pulled
into a restaurant there, ordered lunch, and asked the waitress, "Pardon me,
madam, can you tell us how you pronounce the name of this place?"  She
replies, speaking very slowly and carefully...

 "D-a-i-r-y Q-u-e-e-n".

Oh, and it's pronounced, "Wauks-a-hatch-ee".