[OM] Re: OT how to tell polarisers apart

Subject: [OM] Re: OT how to tell polarisers apart
From: Chris Savage <zuiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:01:08 +0000

Piers Hemy wrote:
 >Ver 1 Are there any sharp corners on the mount? It's not circular.
 >Ver 2 Stand before a mirror and look at your reflection through the
 >polariser. Now turn the polariser back to front. Any change in what you
 >see? If so, it's circular.

Or v3: look at an LCD screen (or any other convenient source of
polarized light) through the polarizer. At some rotation you can't see
the LCD through the polarizer, except if you're viewing the 'wrong' way
through a circular polarizer, when the LCD will just look dimmer and
discoloured at all rotations.