[OM] OT, painting of Concorde

Subject: [OM] OT, painting of Concorde
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 06:59:41 +0000
This is OT, I know.

I have been searching for news of a pilot, a black man, whom I knew in
the RAF around 25 years ago and whom I should like to find out about.
We went to the same school, a Catholic public school (private school to
the uninitiated ;-)) run by the Benedictines called Downside.

Well, in my travels I came across Mike Rondot's website.  Mike is an
aviation artist and I have one of his prints (a Tornado on a night
takeoff in the first Gulf War; it's excellent.  Well he now has a
painting called "Concorde Farewell" available for sale.  Mike has flown
huge numbers of hours in Canberra and Jaguar (I knew him briefly when
he was on one of the squadrons at RAF Bruggen during the Cold War.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/andrewbrooks1/rondot.htm

One of the most evocative pictures, for me, is the one of the pair of
Jaguars on their way to Cape Wrath.  That area of Scotland, the
northern part nicknamed "Moon Country" is utterly gorgeous for low
flying, with sparse populations and rugged terrain.  I converted to the
Jaguar in winter, so the light was always low and soft while zotting
around (technical term!) this wonderful area.  Garvie (Garvaigh?)
Island was pretty well the only place where we were allowed to drop
full-size HE bombs, guided or not.   Well, this picture reminds me of
the wonderful time I had in charge of a war machine in my younger days.

Chris

<|_:-)_|>
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.