[OM] Re: [OT] Languages / dialects

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Languages / dialects
From: "Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:33:29 +0000

> He is a Geordie, and had great trouble getting himself understood.
> Especially by me !!

Well I'm more of a Mackem than a Geordie but I still have problems when
I talk to people in Bristol as they can seldom understand me. When I was
at university in Durham (only 20 miles south of Newcastle) most of the
students (and some locals!) still couldn't understand me, so much so
that one of my friends who could understand what I was saying usually
had to interpret for other people. Amusing to say the least as it always
seemed to make the person who had no clue what I was saying feel very
small and embarrassed! It did get eventually better..... then I moved to
Bristol and it started all over again.

 > I'm sure he used to throw more "Geordie-isms" into his sentences to
 > get a rise out of people.

I do throw in as much dialect as possible to get a rise out of people.
You just can't resist doing it sometimes ;)

Best wishes,
Gareth.

--

Gareth.J.Martin

Research Postgraduate
School of Geographical Sciences
University of Bristol
University Road
Bristol
BS8 1SS

g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
bluesteel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

attackwarningred@xxxxxxxxxxx
eclipsing.binary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

NE NLCOG - The amateur NLC observing group:
http://freespace.virgin.net/eclipsing.binary

Support Mozilla Firefox:

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible
is to venture a little way past them into the impossible."

Arthur C. Clarke's Second Law.

"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not
wave in a vacuum."

Arthur C. Clarke