[OM] What's a bargain?

Subject: [OM] What's a bargain?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 08:36:04 -0500
Andrew said:
I just received a "bargain" grade 35-105/2.8 from KEH. Optics are
lovely, cosmetics are definitely user. Just my kind of equipment.

There's just one problem: the zoom action is stiff and jerky.

Stiff throughout the range is one thing but jerky is something else.
The jerkiness may indicate impact damage to the cams and/or rollers that
control the zoom action.  At minimum, repair would be expensive and may
not be feasible due to lack of parts.

I take KEH's bargain grade to mean only that it's not pretty.  Purely a
cosmetic indication.  It should function perfectly both optically and
mechanically.  I'd send it back.

Chuck Norcutt