[OM] Re: The damn phone and dinner

Subject: [OM] Re: The damn phone and dinner
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:18:48 EST

In a message dated 12/2/2004 10:41:34 PM Central Standard Time,
huitzilopoxtli@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Shiner  Bock.... I wish we could get that in the Slower Lower  Delaware.

You can.  What stuff OM that is rare and valuable would your be  willing to
trade?  I'm just kidding, but it does remind me a little of my  days in the US
Navy.  I was a Hospital Corpsman station aboard an LST which  was supporting a
River Patrol Boat group and a couple of attack  helicopters.  Our mission had
us be on station for 7 or 8 months at a  time patroling the rivers on the
Mekong delta.  The only  refrigerator on the ship, other than in the galley,
was
in sick bay, which was  my territory.  A buddy of mine from Houston had his
mother send him  some of the things he was missing from home.  It was really
exciting when  the package arrived with a six-pack of Lone Star and a can of
tamales.  Not  exactly home cooking, but they would do.  Did I mention, I also
had
an  autoclave for sterizing surgical instruments and heating tamales.  A
rather small party was organized, the beer was put in the frig and at  the
appointed hour 3 or 4 of us gathered to partake of the goodies from  Texas.  We
had
hardley had time to open a beer apiece and have a  couple of swallows, get the
autoclave going when the general quarters alarm  sounded.  It was a mad
scramble and in our haste, one of the Lone Stars got  spilled all over the
examination table and the floor of my very small sick  bay.  There was no time
clean it up as I had to be at my assigned battle  station, which was not sick
bay.
 I was sweating bullets for fear of this  being a situation where there might
be casualties and the "Old Man"  (Captain of the ship) would come down to
sickbay and discover the "cantina"  we had open for the night on his ship.  As
it
turned out nothing came of  the general quarters situation and after a little
cleaning and a few  laughs I was back in business.  In those days, I would
rather it have  been Shiner Bock, than Lone Star, even though the Lone Star
tasted pretty good  after a very long dry spell.

The OM content:  My gear at the time consisted of a Bronica  2 1/4 and a
Nikon F.  The OM was yet to be introduced.  One of the  officers asked what
might
be a good camera for him and I suggested an  Olympus Pen F (or I think it was
the F perhaps the FT, it was 1968).  He  got the black one as I recall and was
happy as if he had good sense.   Sometimes wonder what happened to that Pen.

Bill Barber