[OM] Re: Lens plates? - Digital Zuiko & OM

Subject: [OM] Re: Lens plates? - Digital Zuiko & OM
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:09:31 -0800
Thanks for the B9 -> B6 correction Jim,

I suspect a lot of people wouldn't be all that happy with the RRS
recommended B6.

The D Zuiko 50-200 has a tapered foot (wide at back, narrow at front with a
curved front edge) and a single mounting hole. The back edge of the foot is
angled. If the plate has a lip it would have to match the unique shape of
the foot. The B21 is a good size but it's a rectangle rather than tapered in
at one end. I wish the D.Zuiko has a simple rectangle for it's foot.
Probably a good number of E1 owners have OM's so the dual use of the B21
plate could make up for the possible rotation of the D Zuiko.

Yes the B6 is what is recommended (not the B9) and is what I received in the
mail yesterday. It is approximately 1/4" shorter than the foot and is also
quite narrow. I tried it on several OM lenses and wasn't too happy with it
because of its small size. It works but it seems like it wouldn't be as
solid as a larger plate (B76). I've got a B76 on my Horseman and held the OM
tripod adapter foot up against it. I should remove the plate and check the
fit to be certain. It appears to be about 1/4" too long but looks like a
better fit. I'll probably write to Really Right Stuff when I've got it
sorted out and pictures posted.

With the macro lenses it is desireable to be able to slide the lens forward
/ backward using the lens plate as a focusing rail. The B6 is too small to
be any help for that. One of the new MPR plates would probably be ideal for
that. I actually use one of their older plates that has a built in clamp at
one end (B31A)  The newer plate with a removeable clamp that can be rotated
would probably be a better choice. I have to use the B16 converter clamp to
mount an OM body with the lens axis parallel to the length of the B31 plate.
The B16 works fairly well for me because it gives both my OMs & Mamiya 7 an
easy to share L-plate ... but the knob pokes me in the face when using a
shift lens.

I really need to post some pictures ... if anyone even got this far.

-jeff
the 300/4.5 & 400/6.3 look precarious on the B6.