[OM] Re: [OM power bounce grip 2 - reprise

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM power bounce grip 2 - reprise
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:14:16 -0000
Fernando,

In a literary sense, reprise just means "returning to"; no inference of
aggression!

> From esif (edited):
> "The Flash Extender can be attached to give extra extension, when the
> rubber
> plug at the front of the Extender is removed, but the batteries in the
> grip
> will not provide extra power."

The Flash extender is the only item with this plug, which is just cosmetic.
Annoyingly it doesn't cover any pins, just a hole which is there to clear
the power socket on teh BG2 should you want to use the two together. If you
do use the two togerther it all gets a bit wobbly....The externder should
really have been made a little more substantial.

> Reading more carefuly, that rubber plug would be a part of the zoom
> extender.
>
>>> And 5 (five !?) ways to fix it to a tripod...
> Same source:
> "Five tripod screw holes on the bracket allows free choice of camera
> position."
>
>>  Only one tripod bush IIRC
> So, this one tripod bush can be put through five different holes ?

The fixing screw for the camera is separate from the tripod bush on the
bracket (so you can't put the rig on a tripod with the camera on the swivel
axis - annoying, but this is really a hand-held set-up.
There are five holes for positioning the attachment screw - one for left
hand and four for right, allowing a choice of three separations of the grip
from the body. The fourth right position is very close to the third and is
there just to compensate for the offset of the tripod bush on the MD power
pack if you're using one. The tripod bush is a blind hole in the bracket
casting, so the attachment screw can't be used in this position.

I think the longest extension on the bracket was originally to allow the
PBG1 (yes I had to mention it, but the bracket part is identical between the
two) to be far enough away from the right -hand edge of the body to allow
your hand in between to press the shutter release on the MD. With the PBG2
this is not really needed since it has the major advantage of a release
switch on the gip itself - much more comfortable. Using the longest
extension makes the whole assembly pretty wobbly IIRC.

Julian