[OM] Re: What to charge for prints?

Subject: [OM] Re: What to charge for prints?
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:52:54 EST

In a message dated 12/5/2004 1:35:07 PM Central Standard Time,
watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Anyway,  the owner of a local frame shop/gallery where i have
the matting done  thinks he can sell one of my prints. I haven't a clue
where to start. Do I  just crank out copies to meet demand? Framed or
unframed? What is a typical  price for a print on A3 paper?

This is not a difinitive answer, but rather what I have done.  8 X 10  framed
B&W, in which I had about $50-$60, was priced at $135 and sold at a  local
show.  Generally I would sell them unframed if I was going to get a  market
going.  When you set a price, you are also setting what you think  they are
worth.
 Don't sell yourself short.  Many years ago in the  back seat of a '55 Ford
Fairlane, I learned a very valuable lesson.  If you  don't ask, you don't get.
So ask a price which validates what you  think your work is worth and don't
give it away.  Remember the gallery  owner is going to want his piece of the
pie, so establish what that is before  you give him a price.  Your costs have
be factored in when establishing  your price.   Bill Barber