[OM] Re: E-BAY scam?

Subject: [OM] Re: E-BAY scam?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 19:58:23 -0500
At 05:42 PM 12/5/04, Bill Barber wrote:

>Block email from this person, say 12 Hail Mary's and promise to never do it
>again.  Seriously, if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and
>looks  like
>a duck, it probably is a duck.  My prediction is that absolutely no  good
>could come doing business with this seller.  Bill  Barber

Likely it *isn't* the actual seller that emailed him!!  Posing as a seller
including spoofing the "from" email address and offering to sell the same
item or just by happenstance a second copy that's on hand is a MOST
NOTORIOUS scam.

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

Don't accuse the actual auction seller of shenanigans unless you've got
iron-clad 100% positive proof the offer you receved came from the seller .
. . and a "from" or "reply-to" address isn't sufficient . . . they're so
easily spoofed that an 8-year-old can do it blindfolded.

Bill Gates' wondrous Outlook and Outlook Express don't help matters any by
making it exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, to read complete email
headers (and that's why I don't use either one) . . . and that's the
starting point for investigating the veracity of the alleged source of an
email.

-- John Lind