[OM] Re: interesting bid strategy

Subject: [OM] Re: interesting bid strategy
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:22:30 -0500
At 08:45 PM 12/5/04, you wrote:

>Interesting bid strategy ...
>
>Place three bids in a row spaced $25 apart then a fourth at least $200
>higher. Didn't keep the price low though ...
>http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=3857490843
>A last minute sniper still placed two fairly high bids.
>
>-jeff

The winner "nibbled" at the first bidder (dated Dec 2nd) and didn't
overtake him until the fourth bid.  There was another bid "nibbler" earlier
in the day (~ 8AM PST) but gave up after three, also spaced $25
apart.  Looks as if the sniper did it manually, and with two that close
together he must have had a broadband 'net connection.

The two "nibblers" are exactly **why** I don't bid on anything until less
than 10 seconds remains before auction closing.  Showed my Better Half how
to do it . . . using a 56k dial-up 'net connection . . . when her "early"
fairly low bid on something got nibbled at repeatedly . . . over 15 bids
from the same guy . . . one tiny increment at a time.

-- John Lind