[OM] Re: OM-10 question

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-10 question
From: "Gary Holder" <spoilsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:54:02 -0500
To add a LOT of detail to the couple of brief responses you already have:

Charles,

I've had OM-10s and OM-Gs since about 1977.

1. Yes, you can use any non-dedicated aftermarket flash. As with all
hotshoes I'm aware or, one of the flash contacts (the center one of the two)
on the OM-10 hotshoe is a standard hotshoe trigger contact.. Set lens f/stop
as required by the flash and set the OM-10 to "Manual Adapter" and the
adapter itself  (if you have one) to 30th.

2. A dedicated OM flash does not add much to an OM 10. Dedicated Olympus
flash will only:
    1. Enable function of the in-viewfinder "Flash ready/exposure OK"
blinking LED indicator; and
    2. Automatically switch the camera to the flash synch shutter speed.
It will NOT add TTL/OOF flash control, which some OM bodies do have with OM
flashes. Since most reasonably good aftermarket flashes have ready/exposure
good indicators already, and you can manually put the OM-10 at flash synch
speed easily, what you gain with dedicated-flash is minimal IMHO.

3. The manual adapter (built in for the OM-G) is also adds little. It is a
cool toy, but in practice I find the autoexposure of the camera so good I
rarely use it. If I need to bracket, doing aperture-based compensation
through the EV compensaion/film speed dial usually suits me. The major
awkwardness of the adapter is that it is not coupled to any in-viewfinder
indicators--so to use the adapter you must check the viewfinder for
recommended shutter speed, then pull your eye from the finder and look at
the adapter while you fiddle with it to set a different shutter speed. I'm
happy to have the adapter  when I want to force a constant 30th or 60th when
shooting highlighted subjects in insufficient overall light (like
spotlighted performers in a play)--and you really can even do this well
enough to get by through the film-speed/EV compensation dial.

I've had one used T20 OM flash, which died pretty quickly. My used/thrift
shop Vivitar 273, Vivitar 283, Nikon SB-15 (all good tilt/bounce models)
gave me a LOT more bang for the buck at $5 or less each. My long-time
favorite was a Soligor Mk 6A, a plain non-bounce model.

OM-10s take great pictures virtually worry-free. However, if your goal is to
teach your children photography the "right way", with full manual control of
aperture and shutter speed, then the OM-10 is the wrong body.

Gary Holder