[OM] Re: which marco flash?

Subject: [OM] Re: which marco flash?
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:36:09 -0500
on 2004/12/08 5:33 AM, jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx at jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Its christmas time and I was thinking of a present for my om series belows.
> I plan at some point to buy 80 and 135mm macro lenses but they are few and
> far between on ebay at the moment. So I was wondering about which flash to
> buy. I want as natural photos as possible without hash colours or lots of
> shadows.
>
> The T8 looks promising for lack of shadows but does not seem to have much
> power. The T10 has a little more power but no reflector. The twin T28
> looks like it will take some trial and error to gid rid of the shadows...

Working with an 80mm I find the T28 shadows just enough to give a 3-D
effect, and they're not harsh. At typical macro working distances the flash
is large relative to the subject (subtends a large arc) and so gives
soft-edged shadows. Without any shadows your subject will look more 2-D.

I haven't used a T-8 or T-10 for more than a couple of shots, so I can't
speak from experience. I've heard they give a flatter effect. I'm sure
someone will speak up.

Andrew