[OM] Re: Minolta 5400 Scanner WAS: group portrait at FL 330

Subject: [OM] Re: Minolta 5400 Scanner WAS: group portrait at FL 330
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:41:44 -0800
Jim Couch wrote:

>Gary,
>
>How do you like the Minolta scanner overall? I am getting nearer to
>purchasing a scanner to do my slides, and the Minolta is high up the
>short list.

I can only say I read all I could find, looked at the comparison samples
and ended up buying a Can*n FS4000.

>Jim Couch
>
>Gary Edwards wrote:
>
>>I finally got around to scanning some of the last negs that I shot/set up.
>>Here is a Zuiko 16/3.5 shot of Larry and Montie with me in the cockpit at
>>sunrise.  I just upgraded to VueScan 8.1.12 (Ed Hamrick sent me an email
>>notice of the upgrade to improve performance of the Minolta 5400).  So far, I
>>think the old version was better.  It doesn't show up on IE, but the full
>>resolution scan in PS is very noisy (properly exposed Fuji Press 800) even
>>with 5 passes.  And another shot from the same trip on Fuji 400 is also much
>>noisier than previous experience.

Could be grain aliasing. You'll recall the recent post I made where the
"grain" is actually less at 4000 than 2700 dpi from the same slide.
Obviously what I before thought was the base film grain on the old
scanner was not. In the Photo-i test, and I use the term lightly, as it
doesn't seem complete to me, there are examples of B&W on page 3 where
the "grain" on the 5400 scan is much larger and more prominent than from
an LS-30, a 2700 dpi scanner. The writer assumes it is something else
and futzes around with other solutions, to little avail.

Clearly, as others have pointed out is theoretically true, grain
aliasing is a function of both the resolution of the scan and the grain
size and spacing of the film and can be better or worse with higher dpi,
depending on the film characteristics. As I mentioned before, I have one
color neg where the graniness is better in the highlights on one scanner
and the graininess in darker areas is better on the other, with both at
full resolution. More testing to do. Sometimes one may just have to view
the film through a powerful loupe or a microscope to see what the grain
really is and judge how the scanner is handling it. I haven't gone that
far yet, but it may happen.

Moose