[OM] Re: Hombroich, the pictures

Subject: [OM] Re: Hombroich, the pictures
From: Dorothée Rapp <om@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:48:38 +0100
iwert schrieb:

>... I am in the process of upgrading to a real film scanner!
> now I scan all images at 1200 dpi, resulting in files just printeable to A4,
> at 3600dpi (3300dpi actual resolution) the results should be better, but for
> that a new hard drive will be needed as well!

What I find fascinating in your pictures is the capture of light :))

re: sharpening.
1 - don't do any before you have reached the final size. So if you
downsize for a gallery in the net, apply sharpening as last step before
saving. Change resolution if possible by even number, like when I scan
35mm with my 2700 scanner I resize to 900 or 600.
2 - in PS go to Image - mode and switch to Lab. Then Filter - Unsharp
mask - start with 80, 1, 1 (or, if you have bigger colour patches which
you would want to stay smooth, 3), and check always with 100%. If 80 is
not enough, go up in steps, maybe 100% is enough, sometimes 150 (still
150, 1, 1 - or 3. You can play with the sliders to see the effects).
3 - !! Switch back to Image - mode - RGB !!. The Sharpening in Lab mode
avoids colour fringing.

HTH
cheers
:D