[OM] Re: varimagnifier also Cosina Zuiko zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: varimagnifier also Cosina Zuiko zoom
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:12:55 -0600
> I received a couple things today, the varimagnifier that Larry tipped us
off
> about. The case is a little rough, but the varimagnifier itself is fine.
It
> does have a couple pieces of dust/dirt inside. Question: If I attempt to
> take this apart for cleaning, will there be surprise things happen like
> flying springs, etc., or should I just leave it alone?

I've only seen a few, and those were many years ago.  Judging by the diagram
it looks like you can remove the 45 degree mirror by unscrewing the screws
on the back.  There doesn't appear to be an adjustment -- the mirror is
simply glued to the cover plate.  Once removed, you can clean not only the
mirror but the internal surface of the upper (toward your eye) and lower
(toward the camera) elements.  I'd start by just blowing, though -- the
mirror is front-silvered like one on a camera and you don't want to scratch
it!  With the mirror out, the element toward the camera can then be removed,
but I wouldn't unless you're sure it's absolutely necessary (see next step).

Next, it looks like you can get to much of the magnification optics by
removing the frame that goes over the eyepiece, and there doesn't appear to
be anything loose underneath.  If the debris is evident only at one
magnification setting but not the other, I'd start here.  Again, just try
blowing.  You _don't_ want to have to disassemble the magnification
mechanism!

The whole vertical tube along with the diopter adjustment appears to simply
unscrew from the body.  Hold the tube itself (not the eyepiece ring you turn
for diopter adjustment!) with a rubber pad and try unscrewing -- don't
force!  They probably put thread lock on the threads, so you might need to
put a few drops of acetone on the seam just above the body (the 45 degree
part).  You can get to the top of the element above the mirror now, or if
necessary remove it by unscrewing it's retaining ring, but since you can get
to the underside of it once the mirror is out, it shouldn't be necessary.
The optics in the vertical tube can be removed by unscrewing the retaining
ring from underneath, but it's unlikely anything you can see up close would
be there.

> Also, a small screw is missing which holds the metal
> clip on the back. Looks like a normal little screw like the ones found in
OM
> bodies. Anyone have a parts camera with some spare screws (or just some
> screws from one) they want to sell?

Do you mean one of the screws on the 45 degree plate?  Those are PSK 1.7 x
2.2 SH's.  At a glance, your most likely candidate would be one of the
screws that holds the plate over the back latch -- it's a PSK 1.7 x 2.5,
though on some bodies they used a scrwe with a larger head.  If you have an
OM-1 front casting by itself, the screw that holds the plate that the meter
coupling return cord is tied to on the side of the box just below the meter
is held in place by a 1.7 x 2 -- that should work.  Or one of the screws
under the rewind knob, but at 4mm, they might be too long.