[OM] Re: Extension Tubes

Subject: [OM] Re: Extension Tubes
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:18:41 -0500
on 2004/12/12 3:05 PM, D&K Fairbanks at banks@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I am trying to find out more information on extension tubes.  I don't
> understand the purpose of the tubes, and what is the difference between
> manual and automatic.   There are three different Zuiko extension tubes,
> 7, 14, and 25.  Are any of these for specific purposes?

They're for macro. The tubes move the lens farther out from the film, which
lets you focus closer and thus shoot smaller things, i.e., get higher
magnification on the film. (Watch your lens as you move the focus from
infinity to close - it moves out.)

In various combinations these let you use an ordinary 50mm in all the ranges
from infinity to lifesize macro. With a 50 macro, the 25mm alone gets you to
lifesize (with the lens' own focus adjustment included).

An automatic lets the camera move the lens aperture automatically in the way
you're used to: when you press the shutter. With a manual, when you adjust
the aperture the lens closes down right away, so the viewfinder gets dim.
Auto is more useful.

Andrew