[OM] Re: Ethical Q re shipping E*bay item Int'l

Subject: [OM] Re: Ethical Q re shipping E*bay item Int'l
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:07:13 EST

In a message dated 12/14/2004 11:45:47 AM Central Standard Time,
hiwayman@xxxxxxx writes:

I paid  the extra $5 for the optional insurance on the 120/5.6 Schneider
Symmar I just  "won" for $331.50.  It's worth it, and it protects both buyer
and
seller  -- at least in theory.

You know me and you know I believe in insurance, however from a practical
standpoint, there are some issues.  Let's say you sell a $100 item and  package
it, go stand in line at the Post Office to fill out the customs and  insurance
forms and mail it to your buyer in the UK or where ever it happens to  be.
The items turns up lost.  Now as the shipper, you are responsible  for filling
the claim with your friendly postal employees.  To say that is  a royal pain
in the a## is to grossly understate the facts.  The question  becomes do you
just send the buyer a check for his $100 or do you waste 25 hours  of your life
trying to get your claim settled.  I'm not saying to not buy  the insurance,
as I usually do or have a conversation with the buyer about  it.  I have
shipped stuff arounf the world, and have yet to have one  lost.  The choice of
insurance in the IS is mine and you get it.   Overseas, it becomes the buyers
chioce and if the don't want it, the loss  becomes their responsibility.  My 2
cents worth.  Bill  Barber