[OM] Re: Ethical Q re shipping E*bay item Int'l

Subject: [OM] Re: Ethical Q re shipping E*bay item Int'l
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:33:32 -0400

> You know me and you know I believe in insurance, however from a practical
> standpoint, there are some issues.  Let's say you sell a $100 item and
package
> it, go stand in line at the Post Office to fill out the customs and
insurance
> forms and mail it to your buyer in the UK or where ever it happens to  be.
> The items turns up lost.  Now as the shipper, you are responsible  for
filling
> the claim with your friendly postal employees.  To say that is  a royal
pain
> in the a## is to grossly understate the facts.  The question  becomes do
you
> just send the buyer a check for his $100 or do you waste 25 hours  of your
life
> trying to get your claim settled.  I'm not saying to not buy  the
insurance,
> as I usually do or have a conversation with the buyer about  it.  I have
> shipped stuff arounf the world, and have yet to have one  lost.  The
choice of
> insurance in the IS is mine and you get it.   Overseas, it becomes the
buyers
> chioce and if the don't want it, the loss  becomes their responsibility.
My 2
> cents worth.  Bill  Barber

As the buyer, I never buy insurance on epay items. I'm certainly not rich,
but I don't need to insure items worth $100. Do you even need it for $500?
But from a sellers point of view, it makes sense, since the buyer is paying,
and since it avoids the fraud of their claiming they didn't get the item.
Wayne