[OM] why are my wet-print enlargement so flat?

Subject: [OM] why are my wet-print enlargement so flat?
From: Siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:54:31 -0800
I've tried three times over this year to get enlargements done from
negative color film and slide film. in all cases the source material was
tack sharp (velvia, shot w/ zuiko macro on tripod stopped down, checked w/
loupe and projected onto screen; fuji nph w/ 3.6 zuik zoom @ F8, MLU, hand
damped shutter release on tripod) etc, and i take it to the local pro shop
to get 8*10/12 enlargements, and they come out completely FLAT and
lifeless. the same print film, when i get scanned onto a fuji cd from a
frontier machine (1800*1200 pixel 1mb), adjust levels, apply light USM and
then submit to fuji frontier machine for prints (keep in mind this is
still 1mb source file), they come out astonishing.

i know fuji frontier prints in small sizes are great, but what blows me
away is that a pro lab is turning out lifeless prints while the local
walmart (about the only place 'round here w/ frontier) is churning out
sparkling prints. are my eyes crazy? and don't say FF is cranking up the
contrast/saturation either, cuz it ain't that. the pro store is nowhere
near what my neg shows. anything i'm missing or should i be asking for
something in particular when i go for enlargements?

--
/S
aim:iddibhai