[OM] Re: List-admin-stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: List-admin-stuff
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:37:59 -0000 (GMT)

> gotta be some darn thin cookies, seeing as my powerbook has a slot-in
> cd-drive only :(
>
> Better hurry and come up with CTP (cookie transport protocol) before

sorry I can't resist since I teach about cookies.....

there is no need to write a CTP!!! HTTP already has that caperbility:

EXTRACT FROM MY MODULE ON WEB BASED PROGRAMMING:
cookies are transported between clients and web servers via the HTTP (High
Tea Transport Protocol)
Although HTTP is designed to transfer biscuits, cookies can be
transported. But there is a limit to the number of chocolate chips than
can be transferred to only 4K in a single cookie. But HTTP allows you to
transfer more than one cookie per client! The upper limit on the number of
cookies per client is web server and web broswer dependant although the
HTTP protocol does specifiy minimum amounts! It is possible to specify an
expiry time for a cookie which is approximately the number of seconds it
is fresh  after it is created. After it has expired it is the
responsibility of the HTTP protocol, client and sever to make sure the now
stale cookie is destroyed to avoid the client or server becoming ill.
comparing this to sessions we note that
Sessions can contain large and various types of objects including coffee
and cakes etc but you are limited to a single session per client....
Unlike cookies sessions do not have an expiry date but a bordom counter.
Each time tea or other substances! :-)  are exchanged between the client
and server the counter is reset. Each second there is no exchange the
counter counts down. If the counter reaches zero the session is
considerred to boring and is destroyed along with any objects tea, cakes
etc in the session...

Sorry
James

Regards