[OM] Extension tubes

Subject: [OM] Extension tubes
From: Brian Gray <brian.gray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:58:08 +0000
D&K Fairbanks wrote:

 > I am trying to find out more information on extension tubes.  I don't
 > understand the purpose of the tubes, and what is the
 > difference between
 > manual and automatic.   There are three different Zuiko
 > extension tubes,
 > 7, 14, and 25.  Are any of these for specific purposes?

        Other experts have given details of the magnifications etc available
with
various extension tubes.  But at a very practical level, I would say that I
bought my first extension tube after a friend demonstrated how easy it was
to copy post cards and other photographs with one.   This was in the days
before scanners were common,  but in any case at the time I was thousands
of miles from home and wished to have copies of some pictures relating to
my family tree.
        On arriving home I looked out for 'an extension tube' and bought my
first,
a 14mm manual OM tube which, as I recollect I used with a 50mm lens to copy
some more photographs.  That rapidly taught me that I should have waited to
find an automatic tube because it was very difficult to avoid upsetting the
focus when stopping down the aperture manually.
        Subsequently, I have used 50/1.8 or 85/2 OM lenses with 7, 14 or 25mm
OM
extension tubes on several occasions to photograph small fossils (or any
fine detail in rocks) and to copy photographs - an extension tube takes up
less room in, and adds less weight to a bag of camera equipment when one
does not have a specific photographic task in hand when out and about.
        I am sure a macro lens would have given even better results but that
would
have been much more expensive and not necessarily to hand when needed.
Brian