[OM] Camera prices: Now e-300

Subject: [OM] Camera prices: Now e-300
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:29:21 EST

In a message dated 12/16/2004 8:06:07 AM Central Standard Time,
simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

This is  the digital question I don't understand. If Olympus were happy to
make the  OM-3 and -3Ti, which they knew would never be (& never intended them
to  be) a volume seller, why can't they make a digital OM body under the same
understanding?

Well, I hope they haven't half done that with the e-1 (2 to 1 ratio on OM
lenses) and I don't think that is the direction they are headed.  I did see
the
e-300 at my local purveyor of stuff last night.  The guy behind the  counter
said they had sold a "couple" already.  It doesn't have the same  feel as the
e-1, which I have become accustom to over the past few months and it  does
have a nice feel.  With any marketing at all, Olympus should enjoy  their time
in
the spotlight.  At under $1,000 retail, 8 megapixels and some  nice features,
it should compete well with the other entry levels cameras  offered by Nik#n
and Can#n. I can see absolutely no compelling reason for  the average prosumer
buyer to do anything other than buy the e-300. assuming the  don't have a big
stable of 35mm lenses they can use with their brand X camera.  Depending on
what it looks like for the e-2 or e-3 or e-whatever, I will  likely end up with
and e-300.  Everyone needs 2 camera bodies and some of  us act like we need
more than that.  This would be a good way to  go for those sitting on the
fence.  Bill  Barber