[OM] Re: New member with question about 100/F2

Subject: [OM] Re: New member with question about 100/F2
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:07:23 -0500
The 180/2.5 Tamron comes with the advantage of having two top-quality, matched,
reasonably-priced converters available.  They fit between the adaptall mount
and the lens, so they're a pain to mount quickly.  My advice is to buy an extra
Adaptall mount and keep it glued to the converter(s) if you buy one.  I found
one of the great 1.4x converters for $60 on Ebay, new in the box.

Oh, and the Tamron produces sharper, more CA-free photos IME, and for a lower
price.  The Zuiko 180/2.8 is still a very nice piece of glass....I just wish
that they had put an ED element in it to correct the CA.

I had 2x converters for years and years from Olympus, Vivitar, and Komura, and
never really liked them, mostly due to the dim finders and the two stops of
light loss.  OTOH, I really liked my 1.4x's, both Zuiko and Tamron SP, which
extended the reach of my longer lenses, only cost me one stop, and generally
were of higher quality than the 2x's.

Skip