[OM] Re: Wireless Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Wireless Flash
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:09:40 +0100
Rob Harrison wrote:
> Thanks Andreas! I'll look into the Metz, though I think
> I may end up with a "hot light" system instead, which
> will also work with shooting architectural interiors.
> (At least that's what the photog who's shoots my
> projects does.)

Look into the 'marriage' of the two systems too.

Hot lights have the disadvantage of being short
lived (if bright) or not bright. They ARE hot. Bad
for several motifs and for many attachments. Their
exact color temperature is tricky to manage (if
shooting film -- easier with digital). Their BIG
advantage is: You see what you get, lights vs.
shadows, ratios, colorations etc.

The marriage is to use 'weak' hot lights for
composition, and bright, color stable, daylight
balanced flash for final exposure. This is realized
in nearly any so called studio flash, as those
"Alien Bees" (mentioned at this list earlier --
but there are many others). They combine the best
from both worlds.

Portable, mains independent studio units are yet
another play ground ...

Andreas