[OM] Metrified Measures

Subject: [OM] Metrified Measures
From: Ross Orr <voxbongo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:32:41 -0500
Gordon Ross wrote:

>Hi Walt:
>
>..and you don't refer to your 11.8110236 inch telephoto (300mm) or use
>1.3779528 inch film either, you have metriculated

Hmmm. . . my recollection is that "35mm" film is actually a bit
smaller than 35.0mm. Why? Well, the original format for movie film
came out of Thomas Edison's lab. Someone there got the standard
rollfilm used in the original "Kodak," 2-3/4 inches wide, slit it in
half, then punched it with sprocket holes.  1-3/8 inches = 1.375" =
34.925mm. (Perhaps someone else knows the story in more detail?)

The world of bicycle parts has this a lot too--standard thread sizes
etc. that turn out to be round-number inch measurements, subsequently
"metrified" into millimeter terms.

cheers from yr pro-metric murikan,

  -- Ross

"Do something foolish once, and it's a mistake.
  Do it repeatedly and it's a philosophy."