[OM] Re: New member with question about 100/F2

Subject: [OM] Re: New member with question about 100/F2
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:48:38 -0500
Skip:
Thanks for the info.  I haven't made my mind up on any 180mm yet.
Grateful though if you could provide details of the Tamron 1.4x
converter (e.g., model description/number), as there seem to be a couple
of models (? digital as well).  I believe I also read that the Olympus
1.4x converter fits the Tamron 180mm lens. Any idea?

Martin

Skip Williams wrote:

>The 180/2.5 Tamron comes with the advantage of having two top-quality,
>matched, reasonably-priced converters available.  They fit between the
>adaptall mount and the lens, so they're a pain to mount quickly.  My advice is
>to buy an extra Adaptall mount and keep it glued to the converter(s) if you
>buy one.  I found one of the great 1.4x converters for $60 on Ebay, new in the
>box.
>
>Oh, and the Tamron produces sharper, more CA-free photos IME, and for a lower
>price.  The Zuiko 180/2.8 is still a very nice piece of glass....I just wish
>that they had put an ED element in it to correct the CA.
>
>I had 2x converters for years and years from Olympus, Vivitar, and Komura, and
>never really liked them, mostly due to the dim finders and the two stops of
>light loss.  OTOH, I really liked my 1.4x's, both Zuiko and Tamron SP, which
>extended the reach of my longer lenses, only cost me one stop, and generally
>were of higher quality than the 2x's.
>
>Skip

Martin Walters
Natural Resources Canada/Ressources naturelles Canada
Government of Canada/Gouvernement du Canada
580 Booth Street, 10th Floor/580 rue Booth, 10ième étage
Ottawa, Ontario/Ottawa (Ontario)
K1A 0E4
E-mail/Courriel :  mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx
Tel/Tél : (613) 996-4110