[OM] Re: Focus Dampening

Subject: [OM] Re: Focus Dampening
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:50:30 +0000
Funny thing: I just spent the better part of half an hour twisting the focus
rings to and fro on over two dozen lenses, mostly Zuikos, to make sure my
memory hadn't failed me and I knew what I was talking about when I said this:

Another funny thing: All my lenses are pretty much the same, neither too tight
nor too loose, but just right, the only exceptions being a couple of Tamrons:
the 17/3.5, which is slightly looser feeling than the Zuikos, and the
28-105/2.8, which is hardly dampened at all and can be focused with one finger.
 Only two Zuikos feel any different at all: an old silver-nose 50/1.8 and the
500/8, the former being looser, the latter, tighter.

Maybe I'm just too heavy-handed to notice, but, except as noted, any difference
in dampening from one Zuiko to another is not apparent to me.  However, I have
for a long time been aware that there's a difference in the feel of the
aperture rings among the Zuikos, so I'm at least not too heavy-handed to catch
that.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from