[OM] Re: sights around san jose?

Subject: [OM] Re: sights around san jose?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:29:32 -0800
In California without a car .... !!!

The light rail will take you around San Jose fairly effectively. You would
still end up doing a fair amount of walking. There are a lot of things to
see. The photo opportunities are different.

In San Jose there is the Tech Museum, the Rosicrucian museum, and a few
others ...
http://www.egyptianmuseum.org/
http://www.thetech.org/

Parts of San Jose have nice old houses ... an area called the rose garden,
but most of California is not very old compared to other places.

Cal Train can get you up to S.F. with stops all along the way. Weather can
be hit and miss. Winter can be very clear or can fog up. My Tope 20 picture
was taken on a very sunny day with areas of thick fog. If you can find the
right place at the right time, the scene can be gorgeous.

The Stanford University (Palo Alto) has some nice small museums and
sculpture exhibits. The campus is also attractive.

With a car you can drive over the Santa Cruz mountains to the coast. The
monarch butterflies are congregated for the winter at several places. The
coast scenery can be very nice this time of year depending upon the weather
which varies both daily and hourly.

The Redwoods in Big Basin Park can be pretty nice. They aren't as large as
the state/national parks further north but there are some nice fairly large
trees.

Fairly distant inland (3 hour drive each way) the wildlife areas are filled
with tens of thousands of geese. They tend to confgregate in the preserve
until dusk, then take off in massive lift-offs to go looking for food.
Seeing two or three thousand geese lift off in 30 seconds is awe inspiring.
Grey Lodge (I was here about two weeks ago)
Sacramento Wildlife Preserve
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region2/r2list.html
Merced Wildlife Preserve
Los Banos Wildlife Preserve
http://pacific.fws.gov/refuges/

This time of year most of the deciduous trees have dropped their leaves but
the wild grass is green. Scenery of Live Oaks on green hills can be nice.
Many of the local parks in the Santa Cruz mountains (the mountains aren't
that big unless you're riding a bike) can be very nice for typical
California winter scenery.

If I had to pick something to see in a short time that was "unique" it would
probably be the waterfowl that winter in California's central valley.

-jeff