[OM] Re: sights around san jose?

Subject: [OM] Re: sights around san jose?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:06:51 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Siddiq" <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>

> there's something called the san jose heritage rose museum or some-such,
> i've found, which is *in* SJ so a big plus. if the weather plays nice,
> mebbe macros can be had. also found gamble garden in palo alto but not
> sure how far from SJ that is. primarily this trip is to attend a wedding,
> and alas, leaves no time to run amok snapping
>
> --
> /S
email/msn:msidd004atstudentdotucrdotedu *** UC Riverside?

The forecast calls for rain Sunday but sunny until then.

I've never been to the SJ Heritage Rose Garden. The roses should be dormant
by now so there may not be much to see.
http://www.heritageroses.us/

The Gamble Garden is named after the woman who donated the property to the
city of Palo Alto. It's basically about the size of 4-6 suburban lots. Part
of it is used by school children to grow vegetables about half of it is
nicely planted. I haven't been there for quite awhile. It might not be too
impressive this time of year (even though the land is probably worth $4M -
$8M).
http://www.gamblegarden.org/explore/explore.html

The Gamble Garden is fairly close to Stanford University, perhaps four
blocks from the edge of the university property. The university has a lot of
land though. It's probably a good mile from the main quad (the original part
of the campus). Palo Alto is relatively small, and is about 15-20 minutes
from downtown S.J. (I280 north). Depending on who you are traveling with
some of your companions may want to spend time at the Stanford Shopping
Center leaving you to do a little exploring  ;^)

The Winchester house has some interesting history. When I visited the old
governors mansion in Sacramento a few weeks ago the tour guide said that the
governor's mansion was built by a hardware clerk for himself. He was
involved with the big 4
(http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/people/s_z/stanford.htm) and became rather
wealthy. His daughter, who was granted several patents, is the woman at the
center of the Winchester house's history. Similarly Villa Montalvo in Los
Gatos (about 10-15 minutes from S.J.) was a countryside summer house of
another successful Californian (this little summer house is now a pretty
good sized park). http://www.villamontalvo.org/ourhistory.html

With the limited amount of time you have, either Stanford or Big Basin State
Park are what could be easily visited and would be different from southern
California. You may want to just wander around downtown San Jose and relax.
While driving home, a swing through Elkhorn Slough(birds), Monterey(coastal
scenery), & Pacific Grove(butterflies & lighthouse) could provide a change
of scenery.

Best wishes,
-jeff
(who is leaving Palo Alto on 12/24 to visit family)