[OM] Re: Olympus viewer 1.2

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus viewer 1.2
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:37:25 -0800
Yes, indeed, and it's great news!  I've been using Viewer 1.2 for over a
week.  When it first came out, I got it off Oly's Japanese site and
changed  a registry entry to enable English.   Thanks to the guys and gals
at dpreview's Olympus DSLR forum who translated the Japanese site and
figured out the registry tweak.

Note that Viewer is the free program that comes with the camera.  Studio is
its big brother, which has more image editing options and the ability to
control the camera from a computer ("shooting tethered").

Viewer 1.2 is *much* faster than before, and has all the basic RAW
adjustments.  What's changed is that the Contrast, Sharpness and Saturation
settings no longer correspond to the same settings on the camera menu.  You
can't switch between high speed and high function engines--it's all high
function (which I prefer anyway).  The noise reducer is no longer part of
the program.  You can still batch process by tagging files in a single
folder and selecting the RAW development window.

It still loses EXIF data when exporting to 16-bit TIFF.  And the 30-day
trial of  *Studio* 1.2 will not work if you've already loaded Studio 1.0's
trial version more than a month ago.

In short, Viewer is now a good, basic RAW converter.  It's no longer the
glacially slow crippleware it was before.  You can do the very basics (WB,
exposure, maybe contrast and saturation) in Viewer and convert to 16-bit
TIFF.  Then you can do the rest without loss in Photoshop, Picture Window,
Neat Image, Noise Ninja, etc.

I may eventually spring for Capture 1 or Studio, but for moderate use,
Viewer is now a very usable (and free) option.  A few quirks, not the
world's fastest workflow, but quite usable.

--Peter