[OM] Re: OM-D and looking for stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-D and looking for stuff
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:50:46 +0000
I am in particular accord with you on the point of storage and retrieval.
After a preliminary culling of the occasional, not as rare as I would like dud,
I store my slides in clear, archival plastic pages of 20.  These pages are then
stored in binders that hold 36 pages, or a total of 720 trannies.

In addition to a desktop-size light box that will accommodate 40+ slides at one
time, I also have a little battery-powered, 3/4 in. thick Hakuba Lightviewer
5700, which, as the name implies, has a viewing area of 5x7 in.  I can grab a
binder and by slipping the Lightviewer underneath the top of the first sheet,
then sliding it down to see the bottom half, get a quick enough look at each
slide to find whatever I may be looking for.  This way, I can quickly flip my
way through the pages without ever removing them from the binder.

As a matter of curiosity, a few months back when the topic of storage and
retrieval was being discussed, I took a 36-page binder of 720 trannies and this
little viewer, plopped the binder in my lap, and went from front to back,
looking at each slide long enough to see exactly what it was, in just over
three minutes.

I don't know how powerful the computers of others are or what their souped-up
picture filing system may be, but it would take me a hell of a lot longer to
pull up and look at even 720 thumbnails on my setup -- that is, assuming, to
begin with, that I had actually made thumbnails of the stuff I had scanned and
copied off to CDs, which I might or might not be able to find anyway.

Plus, there's the added benefit that I don't have to think up different names
for my slides, most of which wouldn't mean a thing a year or two later.  I just
name them all Fred, and they are right there in the binders when I want to
look, for instance, for Fred, Fred, or Fred.

New ways of doing things are not automatically better than the old ways just
because they're new.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from