[OM] (OM) Computing security - OT - and stuff

Subject: [OM] (OM) Computing security - OT - and stuff
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:34:58 +1300
Hi all,

One of the end-of year messages I received and really could have done
without came from GRISOFT Antivirus cz whose product I have been using
satisfactorily for some years,

The announcement was that the current Free version, V6, was discontinued,
and if I wished to continue I needed to download V7 which worked on an
entirely different basis.

Having been not long ago faced with a similar message from Lavasoft, the
advertisement-trojan killer program (and for which there would be
unfortunately a similar outcome), I set about upgrading. Apparently V7 would
uninstall V6, and all would be well.

The download for V7 was somewhere in the vicinity of 10 MB size which did
not please me greatly, but I got on with it.

On trying to install I soon got the message that my system needed
dcom95.exe, which I had to hunt down and install, not without some hard
work.

Another 1.5 MB space on C drive I didn't really want to give up.

Microsoft Office 2000.

A few years ago with a feeling of considerable relief I rid my machine of all
Microsoft browsers and mail clients due the the considerable virus and back-
door client hazard they bring with them.  I did not want to bring that stuff
back in.  Oh, and MSIE 5.01, when I did eventually find a copy, is about
68MB. Goodness knows what the installed size is.

Back to the drawing-board. My currently most-used browser, Opera 3.61,
does most things I want, and very rapidly, and the download program easily
fits on a floppy disk.  Not 68 MB, installed or not.

I'm on the lookout for a new anti-virus program and a new anti-advertisement
trojan protector.  Quite a blow to lose both within a few months of each other.

In the meantime, preoccupied with this viral treatment stuff, I neglected a
local auction for a copy of the paper Olympus Sales Information File in great
shape, and a copy of the OM system book, shape ditto. Both went for under
$15US, dagnabit.

Brian