[OM] Re: (OM) Computing security - OT - and stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Computing security - OT - and stuff
From: Jaime Garmendia <huitzilopoxtli@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:19:19 -0500
Not knowing what OS are you using, it is difficult to give you more
precise advise, but....

The current, sorry state of windows computing necesitates drastic
measures to maintain a secure platform. You have already touched on
the two main ones, not using MSIE and Outlook, aka "best damn virus
and spyware vectors around". For spyware I use ad-aware and Spybot S&D
(get it from download.com). I find that they complement each other
nicely.  For anti-virus, McCaffee and Norton are very competent
programs, worth their price, even though there are many others out
there.

But those programs do not deal with the huge number of attacks on your
computer thorugh the network itself, from crackers, bots and worms
running rampant in the net at large. Latest reports on slahsdot.org
about the average time for an unprotected computer to be attacked and
invaded is *7 minutes* after connection to a high speed network.  If
you access the internet, you need a firewall, even if you are using
only dialup. Get the free version of ZoneAlarm at the very least. Even
better, get a phisycally separate firewall, either in a router or even
better, something like Smoothwall (smoothwall.org) on an old PC
(pentium 133mhz, 32MB memory and 1 gig hard drive are about the
minimum required).

Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to be "just a user" and hope
to keep your computer clean of bots and viruses. You have to take some
active steps to learn about the modes of attack and the way to protect
yourself.

Good luck... or just take the big step and switch to linux. Ubuntu
linux will run very well on a 700MHz and up computer (Pentium or
Athlon), for example, and comes with Firefox, OpenOffice and many
other good alternatives to MS programs. OM related bit: gPhoto and
gPhoto2 can talk directly to almost all Olympus cameras out there, via
their USB ports or via their old serial connectors. And you can't beat
the price.