[OM] Questions about an "M-1" and 35 SPn

Subject: [OM] Questions about an "M-1" and 35 SPn
From: ian <ianrmac@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 11:28:46 -0700
Hello, I'm new to this list, mainly trying to get a bit of information about
a couple of cameras that I have.  One appears to be an M-1, but on closer
inspection, I don't think it is.  It has an M-1 top and bottom, but the
middle section of the body has an "MD" tag on the left front side.  I'll
include a link to some pictures of it.

http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/Olympus/DSC02552.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/Olympus/DSC02544.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/Olympus/DSC02553.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/Olympus/DSC02562.JPG

>From what I can gather from an "M-1" site, this camera appears to be an
early OM-1 with an M-1 top and bottom.  I guess someone cobbled it together
in the 70's when my father purchased it for me.  I grew up in the
Philippines and I believe the camera was purchased in Singapore or Hong
Kong.  I also have the OM-1 instruction booklet, and one focusing screen
1-3.

I just pulled the camera out of storage, and the wind mechanism did a 1/3 of
turn, shutter operated, and now the winder will not move.  I'd like to get
this camera back into working order....are there such things as service
manuals for these cameras?  It appears that the foam in the back of the
camera has deteriorated, there are stain marks at the left and right lower
edge of the prism, and of course the shutter problem.  Amazingly enough, the
battery still works, as the light meter appears to work ok.  Another
question, the "on-off" lever at the top of the camera appears to make no
difference to the operation of the light meter (ie: it works whether on or
off), is this normal?

The other camera is an Olympus 35 SPn non-SLR camera.

http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/Olympus/DSC02547.JPG

Battery still works in this camera too.  I know it hasn't been used since
about 1980.  Everything appears to work, but it has the same foam
deterioration problem as the M-1.  Two questions, where can this foam be
acquired, and what kind of solvent would you use to remove the old foam?

I'm a car mechanic by trade..... with the right tools...is it within the
realm of possibility that I can take these cameras apart if necessary?  Are
there any special tools needed other then very small screwdrivers?  Thanks
for any comments and/or help.

Ian