[OM] Re: Lithium Ion batteries and Cold temperatures

Subject: [OM] Re: Lithium Ion batteries and Cold temperatures
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:52:27 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Wayne S wrote:

> I got my E-1 in the summer, so this is the first time I have had a chance
> to check it out in Cold weather. Verdict: don't leave home without your
> OM-4t (or better, OM-3t). Lithium ion batteries really do crap out quickly
> in cold weather. I had three batteries with me keeping two in the pockets,
> but what a pain to have the camera start to go flaky right when you are
> all set up, remove the gloves, dig into the pockets to find a warm battery.

Yup, they're quite bad.  I did a quick test the other week when we had our first
cold snap and a freshly charged E-1 battery lasted about 30 minutes at -27C.
That's not much time, and as you said, switching batteries is a real pain. I've
been thinking about building an external cold weather pack similar to what we
have with the OM's.  The E-1 itself seemed to work fine in the cold but the LCD
was very slow to respond.  Not that it matters, at -30C you won't be pressing
many buttons besides the shutter release :-)
                                -mark