[OM] Re: OT Rant, was OT Online security etc

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Rant, was OT Online security etc
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:02:47 +1030
Hi Moose

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 01:05:34AM -0800, Moose wrote:
> PS CS? The WYSIWYG development environment I use? Equivalents to MS
> Office, including Access and PP? My son's FruityLoops music writing
> program?

e.g The GIMP, OpenOffice, Adibas/Postgres etc.etc. (AUD$2000 saving there).

Get your big-name $oftware list out, in most cases there are freeware
replacements written by enthusiasts, & with the help of the DJGPP
package, you can probably even find ports of most for Windoze. But I
wouldn't suggest someone who struggles with windoze to go out & install
Linu* or FreeBSD- in both cases it requires some 'enthusiasm' & some
hard learning curves- which never truly plateau.

fandom? nope, like you I have day-to-day requirements to feed my family.
 Employment-wise my team & I manage over 200 UNIX firewalls. I wouldn't
even consider trying my day-to-day efforts on a redmond or apple
platform- they're just not stable, secure or versatile enough.

I agree with the majority of your sentiments outlined, however. It's
horses for courses, & I for one have gotta get out to burn some more
film with the OM's, only about 10 rolls this year so far (hangs head in
shame...!)

davidt