[OM] Re: (OT) Reading digital media

Subject: [OM] Re: (OT) Reading digital media
From: FAR-ALI <farali@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:03:34 -0500
 Honestly, I think using a card reader is a better idea. You save wear and
tear on your camera and decrease the chance of dropping it. Unless you are
using a MICRODRIVE (I learned this the hard way)  .. generally I find CF,
SD,xD, etc cards to be pretty resistant to failure. I dropped my 512mb CF MD
and lost all my pix....not a huge deal and Hitachi sent me a 2gb replacement
at no cost (not a bad deal).

Tom A wrote: Andrew McPhee wrote: I am wondering what is the best way to
download images from a digital media card - should I simply plug the camera
into my PC via USB cord (which is my usual method) or should I ditch all the
cords and buy myself a card reader? Would repeated removing/inserting a card
have an adverse effect on the contacts inside the camera? In my opinion, the
only time a card should be removed from a camera is when it is full, and you
need to switch cards to take more photos. Although the contacts on both the
camera and card are rated perhaps in the "1,000s" or even "millions" of
uses,the potential for damage to the card due error is greater than the
potential for damage to the camera. Causes of memory loss or card damage can
be due to removing a card when it is being written to, inserting when the
camera is on, static electricity, or damage due to flexing of the media,
suchas SD, MMC, or Smartmedia. All these things can happen to even the most
experienced person, especially when one is in a hurry. If a laptop is too
bulky to carry if you need to dump pictures in the field, I have seen
portable hard drive devices advertised for just that purpose, which take up
much less space. More $$$ to spend, but how much are your photos worth?
http://www.zuikoholic.com[1] List nannies: olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx[2]

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.zuikoholic.com
   2 mailto:olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx