[OM] Re: Questions about an "M-1" and 35 SPn

Subject: [OM] Re: Questions about an "M-1" and 35 SPn
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:36:45 -0600
Except for the very earliest OM-1's, on an OM-1 and OM-1n it is possible to
mechanically deflect the meter so that the needle moves into the +/- bracket
by setting a very slow speed, a high ASA/ISO, and/or a large aperture, with
the meter off or without battery power.  The give-away is that the needle
does not respond to light at all -- it just sits there as you vary the light
entering the lens.  Also, in bright daylight at ASA 400, f/1.8 at 1 second
is NOT going to give you a good exposure!

The very earliest OM-1's had a special circuit to deflect the meter needle
so that it was not possible to get a "good" reading if the meter was set so
while off.  It was deemed to be superfluous and discontinued in later
production models.